Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ty's 1st Tball Game and a Character Lesson

Ty is loving tball and we are loving watching him, but something happened last night that we were much prouder of than any baseball moment, I'm going to let Jeff tell you in his own words:

Although we are very proud of Ty for being such a great t-ball player, last night I witnessed something at his t-ball game that brought tears to my eyes.

Before the game our very intense coach had all the players fielding ground balls. After they each took a turn, the boys would stand against the fence. Ty chose to stand against the fence up a hill a little bit farther away from the rest of the team.

Evan joined Ty on the hill. Now, Evan is the youngest boy on the team and is the typical picture of what you would think of a 3 year old t-ball player. A few games ago, we looked up and noticed that while all of our players were ready to field the ball in the infield, Evan was without his glove wandering around the outfield fence. He just enjoys life so much, he is always smiling, even while running around the bases.

Up on this hill, Evan was having a good time running up and down the hill as Ty just stood there and watched. Parker was also on the hill. Parker is one of the older kids on the team and thought it would be fun to push Evan down the hill. He pushed him once and Evan fell down and looked at Parker with a sad face. The smiling face had now turned to sadness, but he was content to just stand up and keep playing on the hill.

I noticed Ty watching this whole scenario.

Then it happened. Something that brought out the tears. Our little boy did the 'manliest' thing he has ever done in his life.

He approached Evan. I really thought at this moment that Parker was now going to push Ty down the hill, too. As Parker approached Evan to push him another time, our little man stood in between Evan and Parker and said,"Stop pushing him." Parker immediately walked away. Ty looked at me and I holding back the tears, mouthed "Great job."

Ty went on getting ready for his game and tears just streamed down my face. Our little man had taken up for one who could not take up for himself in that moment.

Even though Ty had two huge hits that went into the outfield and past all of the other team's players and did a great job fielding the ball, our favorite time of the night was when he chose to take up for Evan. We later told Ty how proud we were that he did that.

These pics are from his 1st game, last night was his 3rd.

Ty taking his turn at bat.

Ty wating on 1st base.

Another turn at bat.

Ty getting "baseball ready" for the ball to come to him after the batter hits it.




5 comments:

beth spray said...

aaaawww!! i am sitting here with tears in my eyes! what a special moment for y'all! i know you are so proud of him!! he is such a cutie and sound like he has developed a very tender heart!! that is precious! thanks for sharing!!

Brittany said...

Ok, I seriously love that little guy!
It's no surprise that he is the best player on the team--even though those might not have been your exact words, I know what you meant :) The boy has basically been kicking or hitting a ball since he was born!

This story and the post about Em is why you two are my parenting inspirations!

The Haines said...

WOW! What an incredible example of selflessness from such a little guy- so proud of him. He has the sweetest spirit.

Anonymous said...

This is a GREAT post! I love it and hope that my kids will know the kindness of Christ one day, too. :) Oh yeah, and I FINALLY figured out how I can comment after all these years! Seriously, I didn't do drugs when I was younger. I swear!

Anonymous said...

Your family is so amazing. You have raised that little man right and you should be so proud.